Trinity United Methodist Church

Photo (C) David P. McMasters 

    

TRINITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

220 West Martin Street

Martinsburg, WV 25401

304-263-9215

Kenneth Walker, Pastor

 

E-Mail: umctrinity@comcast.net

Website: http://wv-trinity.com/

 

SERVICES

 

Early Traditional Service 8:15 am
Sunday Morning Live 8:45 am
Sunday School for all ages 9:45 am
Late Traditional Service 11:00 am

 

OUR HISTORY 

 

     Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized September 20, 1866 by Rev. Davis Shoaff, preacher-in-charge of Berkeley Circuit, with the following original members: John M. Wolf, Daniel Marker, William Leathers, Susan Alburtis, Susan Showers, Martha A. Thompson, Mary E. Peterman, Mary E. McDaniel, James Baird, William Basore, Christian M. Shaffer, Catherine Armstrong, Christina Chambers, John Fisher and Sarah Fisher. During the summer, previous to the organizing of the church, services were held at the house of John M. Wolff on West King Street; the women occupied a small room and the men sitting under the mulberry trees in the rear yard; the minister stood on the steps.

     Soon after the organization of the church, a church was erected on Maple Avenue. It was completed in the early winter of 1867 and dedicated January 19, 1868. The congregation grew steadily.

     A lot upon which the present church stands was purchased and work began. The congregation vacated the old church January 26, 1886 and held services in the Feller’s Hall and the County Court House until March 1886 when the present building opened for religious services. The cornerstone was laid September 19, 1885 with Masonic rites. The church was completed and dedicated October 2, 1887. The entire cost was $13,500.

     The Rev. J. Raymond Wood became pastor in 1941 and the present Educational Building was erected at a cost of $105,000. The ground breaking service was conducted by Rev. Wood on August 8, 1948. The corner stone was laid April 10, 1949 and the building opened on June 12, 1949. The building was paid for and free of debt and dedicated on April 19, 1953.

     In 1968 the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren denominations merged becoming the United Methodist Church. Rev. Wood retired in 1967, having served the church a quarter of its existence.

     During the pastorate of Rev. Chester Kirk two major improvement projects were completed. Major repairs were made to the Moler Organ installed by the Roush family in 1916. The sanctuary walls were stripped down to the old pink brick which was repointed and sealed with a protective coating of transparent sealer. The entire electrical system of the church was rewired by Edgar Rice. The church was rededicated on Sunday, September 26, 1976.

     The organ has been updated and the 100 year old steeple was restored at a cost of nearly $100,000.

     In recent years Trinity purchased acreage on Route 45 and a building has been erected. Taize services are held there as well as Scouting programs. The building is rented by other organizations and families.

Trinity has had thirty-nine ministers. They have led the congregation in a series of endeavors, changing with the needs of the times, but following our principles of love and concern as Christ would wish us to do.

     This brief history is based on Harry H. Byrer’s and Dorothy C. Myers’s research and based the writer’s personal recollections.

Sally Ann Greenfield, Historian

Updated Nov. 2012