Calvary United Methodist Church

 


 

Calvary United Methodist Church
220 West Burke Street
Martinsburg, WV 25401-3322

 

Our Vision: to be a beacon of God's love
 

 

Our Mission: to grow and show the love of Jesus

 

Pastor: Robert G. Brennen, Jr
.

Coordinator of Lay Ministries to Children, Youth & Young Adults: Nancy Strother
Director of Music: Mark Albright
Organist: Daris Albright
Secretary: Margaret Grabill
Nursery Coordinator: Heather Hardman
Custodians: Richard Goodman

 

Sunday Worship: 8:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.
Latino/Hispanic Worship: 10:45 a.m.
Sunday School: 9:30 a.m.
Weekday Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00p.m.

Office Phone: 304-267-4542
 

 

E-mail: calvaryum@frontier.com
Website: www.calvaryum.org

 

Our History

     In 1778, during the American Revolution, before the establishment of the United Methodist Church or any of its predecessor denominations, a group of Methodist preachers, gathered in Leesburg, Virginia dared to form the Allegheny Circuit with Martinsburg as one of its preaching stations. From 1778 -1811, the Martinsburg congregation grew, gathering in homes. A building was erected in 1811 on Spring and John Streets; followed by another on South Queen Street in 1841. This latter building, used as a field hospital by both sides during the Civil War, was replaced by the present house of worship in 1868.

 

     Today's congregation sponsors Scouting and Adventurers units, having historically introduced both to the area. It hosts bloodmobiles for the Red Cross and meetings of Narcotics Anonymous. The people of Calvary work cooperatively with area United Methodist churches, through the In-town United Methodist Churches, and the Berkeley County United Methodist Cluster. They work across denominational lines through the work of Berkeley County Ministerial Association. Since 1970 Calvary has housed the Tri-County Pastoral Counseling Service. Our most recent endeavors include the Sharing Hands Meal offered at noon every Saturday, the Latino/Hispanic Worship Service every Sunday, and computer software being utilized to help participants learn English/Spanish.