Berkeley Place United Methodist Church

 

 

     Pastor: J. Lisa Franzen
132 Spruce Street, Martinsburg, WV 25401
Sunday Worship: 11:00 am
Children's Sunday School: 11:00 am

Telephone: 304-754-7891
Pastor's E-mail:  readsps27@gmail.com


 

Our History

 

     In the spring of 1938, a minister of the Christian Church began a revival in the Stone home of the Berkeley Place community. George Raines, a member of the First United Brethern Church, became interested and shared in its services and began preaching. The interest and attendance grew and the revival interested the entire community. The location was changed to the home of Mrs. Sarah Clark. Benches were built and put in the yard to take care of the crowds. They continued to meet in her home after the weather got cold. Rev E. E. Miller, pastor of First Church, gave leadership and encouragement, babptized and received new converts into the new church which took the name "Berkeley Place Mission". Mr. George Raines was named pastor.

 

     As there was real interest for a church, trustees were appointed and a lot 100 ft. by 25 ft. was purchased and the men began to build the new building November 1938. The building was completed and used pews and pulpit furniture were purchased. The church was dedicated June 18, 1939, at a cost of $1,100 with only $100 indebtness. The conference superintendant, Rev M. J. Miller, led the dedication service. There were 52 members at the time. The congregation continued to grow steadily, and a Sunday school room was added in the summer of 1947, being dedicated November 2, 1947, at a cost of $1,200. It has been remodeled  and is kept in good condition.

 

     The congregation currently helps feed the homeless on a quarterly basis and contributes monthly to worthy causes. The Sunday School continues to teach children and a vacation Bible school program is held each summer.